On July 10, 2001 my sweet Zimmer was born and that August he came into my life and became more than just a pet he became part of the family; my little guy. Full of love, energy, and charisma he brought lots of happiness and laughter into the lives of everyone who met him. A faithful companion he went everywhere me and the fam went from short cartrips to the store, soccer games, family vacations, even to school. Never left out from any holiday, important occasions, and birthdays, Zimmer got presents on christmas and his birthday too. My running partner who encouraged me to go a little farther each time, my fellow explorer on campouts and hikes, my protector during the nights when I was left home alone, and my source of comfort when I was sick or sad. A wrestle and tug-a-war buddy, a teddy bear, a lifeguard, and a "model", Zimmer was also somewhat of a coward he'd jump back in fear at the sight of a single bird feather and run to the nearest bed or couch the second a vaccum would turn on but he'd put up a ferocious bark if there was a strange noise in the house in the middle of the night even though we all knew he was actually scared too. His favorite places: Our family cabin up in Alpine where he could run free all day long, any source of water (minus the bath), and really anywhere we were.
His favorite things: string cheese, "raining" hot dogs, his rubber chickens, and any pillows/blankets/shoes and socks he could get his paws on.
Nemesises: The squirrels in the backyard who taunted him everyday, deer, vaccums and any machine that had a loud engine.
He loved life and our family, he was even proving to be a great big brother while Sophie was still growing inside my belly. We took daily afternoon naps during my pregnancy and he'd always lay his head on my stomach when Sophie was being active and kicking like crazy. Cory and I couldn't wait for Zimmer to meet Sophie and to see how he'd interact with her as she growed and for their bond to form but unfortunately we never got to see that relationship take place. A few days before Sophie arrived, Zimmer became sick. We didn't know it at the time but he had a brain tumor and a few days after Sophie was home with us he suffered from a seizure which destroyed his mobility. After a few days of my family trying to nurse him at home and then a night spent in the vet's office we had to face the horrible decision and put our little Zimmeroo to sleep.
I know there was nothing more we could've done to help you to ease your constant pain and make you walk again but I'll never forget your pleading eyes asking me to take you home......your sweet spirit was taken too soon from your earthly home and I don't think I'll ever understand why this had to happen to YOU when all you ever did was love your family and life but I know that you're still here watching over us. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and all the fun times we had and ponder what other adventures and moments we would've experienced had we had more time together. I love you Zimmer, and on the day before what would've been your 8th birthday I wanted to take time to celebrate and remember your sweet but short life, you'll always be my little guy.
Zimmer Olsen Jacobsen
July 10th, 2001-January 5th, 2009


5 comments:
Rebe: That is the saddest thing ever. I am so sorry. :( I could almost cry and I don't even care to own a dog/cat/animal ever!
Happy Birthday ZimZim!
Now I am crying, he was such a fun dog, I loved going with him to Bear Lake. When we swam out, what he thought was to deep, he would swim out and pull us to safety. My hero :)
O Rebe it puts tears in my eyes because they are a part of your life I don't know what I would do without Mack. Zimmer was such a great dog!
Happy Birthday Zim! You did touch the life of many people including mine! I love you and know that I miss you (especially taking my one shoe when you'd greet me at the door)! I need to go grab a box of tissues because your story is very touching!
Happy Birthday! We love you Zimmer.
Post a Comment