Sunday, July 12, 2009

Disaster Hits Close to Home

A canal that I and my friends have spent many times running, biking, and playing fugitive along in our childhood neighborhood of the Island collapsed yesterday covering one home trapping 3 inside (now presumed dead) and forcing many homes in the surrounding area to evacuate. This has been a little TOO close to home because its a five minute walk from my parents house to where this happened. I am grateful that it didn't effect my family and my friends' families that live on the Island but am truly sorry for the families that this has effected for those who lost their homes and especially for those who lost their family. To see news video, pictures, and read more click here: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=7125186

3 comments:

Bret and Kari VZ said...

this happened in the early 1980's when i was to little to remember and my street had mud in to for day that my brother, jeff, would play in. you should look at the 3 youtube videos that dustin auman took.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ufUFGEgc1M
this is down the street that i lived on. the big tree you see on the right is my front yard.
here are the other two from up at the canal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8bHiaETOeA&feature=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCDxEw94Dk&feature=related

Natalie said...

Wow that's so scary. I hope everything is ok with your parents home. I'm so sad for the family that was trapped. Sad.

Britt,Ben,Baby BentLee and our dog Mack! said...

The first thing I said was is Rebe's parents ok. I am so glad they did not get hurt! It is so sad!