Saturday, July 5, 2008

Le Tour is Underway!

Happy 4th of July! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekened, Cory and I had a pretty good one considering there almost wasn't a fourth of july here. Yesterday we woke up to rain and I was soo angry because I was worried I wouldn't get to see the fireworks that night thanks to the weather. Luckily it cleared up in the afternoon so we decided to check out Newport's Aquarium, its no Sea World, but it was still fun. When we came home Cory made us a flag cake which was really yummy, my favorite part were the raspberries he placed on top. :) That night the rain continued to hold off so we were able to go down to the beach and watch the fireworks over the bay, it was a really pretty setting and we took some pics but our camera didn't do them justice so you'll just have to imagine it.
Today was the first day of Le Tour de France! We started watching Le Tour a few years ago to learn more about the ropes of road racing and we were hooked, now one of my dream vacations is to go to France to see the usual sites but to also go and follow the Tour. :) Some people don't care too much for this race anymore just because of all the doping scandles tied to bike racing, infact some of the well known riders from previous years aren't allowed to compete this year because they were found "guilty" at least years Tour (including last year's winner, Alberto Contador). But this year there are a few teams that have taken drug testing more seriously and have made their riders have more thorough tests done thru all the races they've competed in this year so there's hope that the sport will become clean again.
Anyway, I taught a spin class this morning and because today was the first stage of the Tour, I decided my class was going to do the same route (condensed into a hour session). The class was intense because they had to complete 3 sprint and 4 climb sections, I was worried some of the people wouldn't go for it just because our gym has a lot of elderly people but everyone loved it so this month my classes will be riding the stages of Le Tour de France. The best part about today's class is that the playlist we had consisted of mainly heavy metal music to motivate them on the sprints and climbs and to make sure no one felt like they could pedal slow at any point (this was a race afterall), anyway some of the older ladies (who are in their late 50's/early 60's) approached me about the music after class and I thought they were going to complain but instead they were all asking me what were the names of the songs and artists because they really liked it! Imagine that lol.

3 comments:

Brady said...

go rebe! kick their butts! how long are you in oregon for again? we're excited for your new certification. hope your job's going well. tell them we think you deserve a raise. how's cory's work going? watch out for them seagulls.

B and J said...

I enjoyed imagining the fireworks over the bay- I bet they were really beautiful! Your spin class sound like a ball- it would totally kick my butt!

Whitney B. Balls said...

Rebe,
I am excited that I found your blog and see all the fun things you guys are up to. Ah the tour...Jason as well loves it and I get updated on all the happenings. He gets so motivated and goes on these monster bike rides so it sounds like the tour is quite the motivator. Sounds like you are hard core in your spin class..way to go that is awesome.