Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Playroom

For Christmas Santa came and helped Cory finish Sophie and Jens's playroom we still have a few things to make it complete like window coverings, rug, a growth chart, pictures of Sophie and Jens, wood signs covered in fun fabrics that say "explore"/"read"/"imagine", and new bedding but all in good time. :)
This is the before picture which was taken AFTER we had bought the house, I didn't get a picture of the room before the carpet was installed and the walls were painted (blame it on being pregnant and not being allowed to set foot inside my own house while it was being painted) but before the yellow all the walls were white, the floor was concrete with a drain hole, ugly red strawberry curtains, and a giant fluorescent light.  Also you can't tell but the half wall is just concrete falling apart.


After:  The duct work is above the little kitchen and that is where the ugly curtains hung to cover it up as well as the fluorescent light.  We're going to do something down the road to cover the duct work but still make it accessible if we ever need to get into that space.  The door between the reading and kitchen area leads to our furnace room and more storage so we have a little combo lock to keep them out, but it is also a fun ladder-style door (6 panels on it) so i'm going to place mirrors in the panels for Sophie to have a place to look while she dances and plays dress-up.  The half wall was covered with beadboard and trim.
Sophie's reading chair :)  Jens will hopefully get his for his birthday this year
Jens playing with Mr. Penguin and his stacker rings
The little chef whipping up some "soup" for us

The arts and craft/tea party area.  I asked Santa and Cory to put magnetic primer on this wall of beadboard so they'd have more space to display their works of art.  The little frames sitting on the shelf will someday be hanging on the wall...
Place to store their toys- I plan on painting the outside and trim white and then the back of the unit and shelves orange.
Bins for Sophie's art supplies
LOVE this piece of art- it is the alphabet but for each letter there is a city from around the world.  This is our travel/exploration wall and hopefully will be putting pictures of the kiddos from their travels SOON.
Sophie climbs onto the halfwall via her reading chair then she'll continue on over to the bed to turn on some music and then dances on the bed- don't worry the ledge is almost 2 feet wide.  She also likes to sit on this ledge and read her books.  On either side of this window I plan on putting big close-up pictures of Sophie and Jens.
Chillin on the day/guest bed
The bed houses more storage underneath for toys, guest linens, and pillows.
Place to hang dress clothes and for friends to hang up their coats when they come to play.  If you can't tell the hooks are the behinds of dogs. :)
Dance party!- No babies were harmed when this picture was taken.  Notice the little orb satellite looking thingy ontop of the speaker?  Thats a security camera.  I'm lazy and don't want to run up and down the stairs to check on them every 2 mins so Cory installed this baby so I can keep an eye on Miss Sophie while I'm upstairs cooking dinner or changing Jen's diaper.

Chalkboard doors- on the other side of these doors is our pantry.  And if you look closely to the right you can barely make out the stairs that lead back up to our mudroom and kitchen.

7 comments:

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

Very, very cute! And the camera idea is brilliant. I wish I had thought of that!!

Alice said...

That looks so great! I miss being able to do things to my own house!

Ashley said...

Wow that is an awesome playroom!! Very cute I might add as well!

Alissa said...

That is one awesome playroom! Can we come and play? :) LOVE the camera idea.
Sophie is so grown up, I can't believe it!

Dustin and Tricia said...

I've been wondering when you were going to post these pics. It turned out really nice! Such a fun place to be. Good job Santa and the one who made the wish list!

The Enslingers said...

Wow. That is seriously like any kids dream room! So fun! What great ideas! I can't wait until I have a house of my own again where I can get creative with decorating! We need to come for a visit sometime! :)

deerhollow said...

Fun to catch up on your blog! Really fun makeovers! the kids are growing soooo much! You are the cutest family ever!!