Thursday, December 20, 2012

All Tangled Up!

Another year has flown by and this little lady is now 4!!!!  This year's birthday party theme was Rapunzel, which Sophie requested last year (the day after her 3rd birthday) and has been planning and talking about all year! Talk about dedication.  The last few weeks before her party we had a countdown calendar for her so she could "x" off each day and its been fun to watch her get more excited as the party got closer and closer.
This year's invite:

Rapunzel's braid in the midst of all of our christmas decor
The food table, decided this year to keep it simple and just had a few snacks for the girls to munch on besides birthday cake.  We had "Magical Flower Punch", jello boats, snuggly duckling pretzels, Maximus's apple slices, and grapes to go with our cake.





This was one of the favor's Sophie gave her guests: rapunzel hair clips. Over thanksgiving i recruited all my family and had everyone pitch in to make these- don't you love free labor? ;) We also gave them hair brushes, and a paint set.


The cake.  While searching for ideas for a SIMPLE cake, Sophie saw a tower cake and immediately said that was what she wanted.  I tried to talk her out of it because I am NO expert at cake making and didn't want to attempt to make a tower or do a donut tower (the other option I kept finding online).  A week before her party and I was still mulling over how to make a tower when FINALLY someone posted online an easy tutorial for Rapunzel's tower!  This little beauty is made using the cardboard section for paper towels and the only part that is all fondant is her house and roof.  The base is a small round cake pan covered with fondant.  This seemed simple enough but the roof- there was nothing lying around  the house that I could cover up to make that with so I had to call in the ENGINEER of the family and ask for his help.  The cake building process began on wednesday and didn't finish til the morning of her party!  We had structural issues with the tower leaning, the roof being too large, and the left side of the house starting to sag that in the end this cake was entirely made by Cory- I only helped layer on the roof tiles and the "stone".  When it was finally structurally sound I just let Cory finish it and was content with being in charge of the cupcakes haha.  So all the credit for this year's cake goes to Cory, Mr. Amazing!  Without him Rapunzel's tower would've been a pile of rubble with Rapunzel lying face down in the grass- not a happy birthday cake at all.
These are the flower cupckes I made, aren't they cute. :)
When the guests arrived we had them each decorate their own Satchel to hold all their goodies in and when those were finished they got to color Tangled coloring pages I had printed out from the internet..

There was lots of dancing
Sophie and her backup dancers Makayla and Sami
We played pin the frying pan on Flynn Rider's nose, and also did a game were the girls partnered up and had to wrap their partner up in "rapunzel's hair".  Whoever was the most wrapped got a prize, then we switched and played again.  Here's the birthday girl with her friend Grace.
Miss Brinley was the first winner, helps that she chose Sophie's daddy for a partner. :)

Here is the first group of tangled up girls
And some of the second group, Sami was the next winner
We of course had a pinata and this one sure was hard to break!  Since Daddy was the holder of the pinata, Mami had to step up to the plate and deliver the candy for the restless girls.
Our traditional picture with the birthday girl and her cake


 To finish off the party we sent off our own lanterns into the snowy night sky





3 comments:

Fun with the Fenton's said...

Happy Birthday Sophie! I remember you coming to teach spinning class until you went into labor! Can't believe she's four! What a sweet girl!

Ann said...

So creative Rebe! My 5 year old would love a party like this!

B+J said...

Like I said, Super Mom! And Dad too, the cake turned out great!